The Chester Consolidated School district was preparing to welcome Mike Tomasco as the new write-in candidate for the board of education at their reorganization meeting next month.
But now it appears they need to roll out the welcome wagon for an additional member.
Laura Fishman, whose term on the board does not expire until the reorganizational meeting following the 2013 November election, has resigned leaving a vacancy.
According to a release by Board Secretary and Administrator Mary Jane Canose, the legal requirements to become a member of the board of education are as follows:
- He/she is a citizen of the United States
- He/she is at least 18 years of age
- He/she is able to read and write
- He/she has been a resident of Chester Borough or Chester Township for at least one (1) year
- He/she is not disqualified as a voter pursuant to N.J.S.A. 19:4-1
- He/she must fulfill the requirements of the New Jersey Ethics Act.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest which includes the candidate’s qualifications, resume and reasons for wanting to become a board member. Candidates will also be asked to appear before the board to further share their views and respond to questions from the board members in a public session.
Letters and resumes from interested candidates requesting consideration for the position must be received by 4:00 p.m. Jan. 14, Canose's office at 50 North Road, Building 4, Chester, New Jersey 07930. Interviews will be held at the Board of Education meeting on Monday, Jan. 21.